February 10, 2009

Life Lessons Learned

So this is the 3rd edition to my little "series" I started. I love remembering crazy stories from my past and writing them out so I can remember more details. Even if nobody reads them, I know I will and will read things I had forgotten and look back to how far I have come. And if you read them and think I'm crazy, then so be it I pretty much am. :) I'm still trying to figure out how I scored such an amazing Husband when I am so far out there................... Anywho on w/ the STORY!So I already documented how me and Steve met, fell in love, got engaged, and then had the most beautiful perfect wedding ever! Now on to the totally exciting thrilling Honeymoon! The morning after the wedding was crazy, finished packing, went to wally world (yes my 1st day as a Mrs and I go to go to walmart how exciting right?), the bank (to deposit all our loot so we could have SOME fun on the Honeymoon and not be broke. Ha), Steve had to take the Dog to the shelter thingy she was staying at, and pack up my car and take off! Crazy. Now for most of you that don't know one of Steve's "retardations" (as I call them, there are MANY) is that he can NOT and will NOT fly. This makes his wanna-be-international-traveler-wife not very happy. No Sandals resort, Hawaii, Jamaica, Mexico, for these Honeymooners instead we went to Estes Park Co. Now after whining and moaning for a couple weeks I got TOTALLY excited and threw myself into planning for this trip. A WHOLE week of just my Love Bunny and I in a cabin in the woods what could be better?? Personally I think planning the Honeymoon is the greatest part of the whole wedding process and I always encourage my friends that are getting married to focus on that A LOT cuz it's the funnest part! Anyways there I go again! So we ended up staying at the greatest resort/cabin place EVER. Check it out Wildwood Inn.
OK so we finally leave for the 500+ mile (or 9 + hour) trip across the long BORING state of Nebraska to Colorado. Everything is going great. I spent a LOT of time staring at my perfectly manicured hands w/ our beautiful shiny silver rings on, totally oblivious to anything BAD happening to us while we are on our way to our Honeymoon right? Who would mess w/ Newlyweds?? Well, we get right past Kearney and my BFF and maid of honor Megan is about 40 minutes behind us going home to Denver. So I am super excited, we're talking on our cell phones and texting about how boring this trip is and what magazines I was reading, etc. All the sudden we start to see a BUNCH of Nebraska Highway Patrol cars. GR. So Steve has NO idea what the speed limit was or is b/c we kept going in and out of construction. So it was either 75 or 60. Yeah big difference. So I think he was going like 72, and we were cruising along trying to be careful. Oh I also must input here that when I travel I do it comfortably. I take pillows, blankets, wear sweat pants, no shoes, whatever I can do to be comfty! I made Steve take off his shoes and relax so he could be comfty to. Did ya'll know it's illegal in Nebraska to NOT wear shoes when driving? Yeah I knew this but we weren't going to get pulled over cuz again we were newlyweds and everybody could tell by looking at us and our stuffed car, not to mess w/ us right??

W R O N G.

Oh the 2nd part I must input here. I drive an '04 Grand Am. For SOME reason Pontiac decided on the front bumper to put these plastic pieces over the bumper that say "Grand AM" engraved in them. I thought since this was there that I physically had no place to put my front license plate. Yes I'm pretty sure Nebraska is the only state left out of 50 that it is the LAW and require you to have a front plate. I've heard rumors and if it's true it makes a lot of sense, we are a cheap state and do not upgrade our radar systems for speeding. The gun has to bounce OFF the license plate to get a reading sent back to the gun. Where as other states have high tech guns that can bounce off any flat surface. Makes sense right? Does to me. I have a couple friends that are sheriffs I really should ask them! So now that you that that non useless information stored away forever, just know that I didn't have a front plate on my car for over a year and a half and NEVER got pulled over b/c I thought I would have to DRILL into my front bumper and I wasn't about to do that! So yes I was illegal and I knew it was only a matter of time before I got pulled over I just never expected it on the way to my Honeymoon...........So yeah we're driving down the road and I am being loud and dorky on the phone w/ Megan and all the sudden we see a Patrol Man on the other side of the road turn around in the ditch and come after us w/ his lights on. Ugh my stomach dropped. Luckily we were both wearing our seat belts, but Steve had no shoes on. So he bends down and is messing around trying to put them on. This looks great to a cop right?? Then right as we were about to pull over there is an on ramp. Steve did exactly what I did and went PAST the on ramp (so we wouldn't get hit if somebody was coming on the interstate right?), and then pulled over. Oh and as soon as he saw the cop he slammed on his breaks to slow down to 60 b/c again we didn't know the speed limit. So yeah you have, speeding ( or slamming on the breaks and slowing way down which looks fishy), not pulling over, and what appears to be shoving something most likely illegal under the drivers seat.
Great we are screwed. I start crying. lol. Seriously I did I was shaking and crying. So the cop comes up to Steve's window and asks how we are, blah blah like he cared! He asked where we were from and where we were going. When he heard we were on our Honeymoon and just got married YESTERDAY I could tell he softened a bit. He probably also saw the 5 bags of groceries and cooler we had in the backseat and believed us a little more, or maybe it was the hysterical wife wearing a pretty shiny silver ring??? For SOME reason he made Steve get out of the car and go sit in the patrol car. Oh my that is when this wifey lost it. I was almost hysterical. I didn't know if I should have Megan stop and get me, call my parents, what to do! So he came over to my side of the car and got my license and was asking me if we got married, and somehow I told him my maid of honor was right behind us driving back to Denver (not sure why it mattered but he seemed very interested. Weird), and trying not to go completely hysterical. The cop knows it's my car b/c the registry was in my name. He told me he pulled us over for no front plate and asked me why I didn't have one. I told him I would have one but there was no holes for it and I didn't want to drill into my car. He said he understood but for me to go to a Dealership when we got back to Omaha and have them install one. Great a bunch of $ for nothing. I was so mad! He then goes back to the drivers side and opens the door and said he was "checking out the vin". Um dummy I might be a girl but I'm not blonde and I KNOW the vin is NO where on the door it's only on the windshield. Yes if your smart enough like I was you know he was looking for drugs/gun/body/whatever we had "stashed" under the front seat. Of course it was empty and he saw nothing so he went back to his car to scare Steve a lil more and let us go w/ only a warning. Now mind you while I am having a panic attack in the front seat of my car, Steve is in the patrol car freaking out and having a blast over all the buttons/screens/guns/gadgets in the car. He even made sure to mention to the cop how cool it was and how much stuff was in there. Seriously? Really?? OMG. I could have killed him! This cop seriously had to think we were absolutely nutty. I guess the cop yelled at Steve for not pulling over right away (he thought we were running and not going to pull over at all. Yeah at a whole 45 mph or whatever we were going by then), and gave him a warning for no front plate that I had 30 days to get installed and signed off by a Omaha cop and sent in and then we were clear to go.Oh my I was a mess! The rest of the drive was boring and luckily un-eventful. Colorado was gorgeous and I loved every minute of staying in our cabin, cooking, watching DVD's, going on horseback rides for the first (and probably last sorry Honey) time, shopping, and a very romantic horse drawn carriage ride. It was amazing!!! I was doubly scared we would get pulled over AGAIN on the way back to Omaha but we didn't. Few. As soon as we got back and settled in Omaha I went to the auto parts store to see what they could do, and the nicest man just popped that stupid front plate thing off that said "Grand Am" on it and behind it there were holes and the mounting part for the plate! I only had to spend $2 for some screws and go home and screw the plate in. Viola. All better! I then went to the Sherriff's office and had a very nice man "inspect" (he stood at the front door and saw the only car in the parking lot that clearly had a plate on the front lol) my car, sign off, and mail in the ticket for me. Whoopie! So it wasn't that bad and it only cost me $2 plus a minor heart attack but it could have been a lot worse! Wanna know what's even weirder and more absurd?? I have to license my plates every September, we got married Sept 23rd and left for our Honeymoon the 24th. I licensed my car the week before we left and THREW away the "extra" sticker for what would have been my front plate. I still had the plate sitting in the garage but I didn't bother sticking the sticker on an un-used plate. So I threw it away in our huge nasty trash can in the garage. I was so mad b/c with all the wedding plans my Hubby forgot to put the trash out the previous Thursday. Well, if he had he would have thrown away the precious sticker and I would have had to pay a $15 fee for a replacement sticker! Was God looking out for me or what?? So so crazy!
Here are some pictures from our Honeymoon also, just to prove to you that we did had a blast despite a nasty cop trying to ruin our fun! GRRRRRRRRRRR cop! :)


Driving there. See how happy and cute we are. Who would mess w/ us?? Haha

God love him

On our private patio grillin some dinner for us :) He didn't know I was taking the picture, man is he muggin me or what! LOL

Love this picture. Us about to do the batting cages at this really awesome go-cart/mini-golf type place. It was so fun!

No comments: