August 6, 2008

What's in a name

So other then being bored at work (duh what else is new!) , I just had to put this story down somewhere so I could look back and remember. I'm sure I will get in trouble, but Honey I'm sorry it's far to funny to keep to myself! Please forgive me :)
So anybody that knows me IRL knows I am obsessed with names. But not like other people's names, but what I will someday name our children. Every time I hear a name I process it and think of wither or not I would name my child that. I have actually made a list (which is sacred until we are about ready to give birth and/or adopt), with first and middle names and all the meanings of those names. B/c yes I am one of those people that can't just pick a name b/c I like it or it sounds good it has to have a good strong meaning. Mostly the meaning has to be something religious or spiritual. For instance I love the name Olivia but it means Olive Tree. Huh? Dumb. Anyways this was just to give you some background on why we have these conversations even tho we are not pregnant or anywhere close to adopting a baby. Yes just b/c Becky is psycho and likes to talk about "what if" 24/7. Again Sorry Honey thanks for putting up w/ me!
So as you know our last name is Sessions. Very much limits names you can choose in my opinion. So to start when I started in my dept. at the bank a guy (whom I really detested) was saying that someday if I ever have a daughter I have to name her something funny like Marriage so her name would be Marriage Sessions (or something stupid along those lines) so we were talking and we came up with Thara (like Tara with a lisp or Sarah with a T). And her middle name would start with a P. So it could be like Thara Paige Sessions. She would be Thara P Sessions. Now say it out loud. Admit it people it makes you giggle. Of course I would never do that to a child but I find it highly entertaining!
So next on to; I was watching something on tv and these people had a baby Max. I love the name Max but Max Sessions?? A Max Session of what? See it's dumb. So I run to tell Steve and ask if he likes it, then about Trey, and some other random names I loved. He shoots them all down. So he proceeds to tell me HIS favorite boy name. Get ready for it..........Dominique. For a B O Y. Oh be still my heart I think I peed my pants laughing at that boy. (which did not go over well. Note to self if want hubby to play along and tell you things you want to hear do NOT laugh in his face. Laugh later when he is in a different room right? ;) Now growing up a child of the 90's (some 80's) I watched the Olympics and there were 2 female gymnasts who were awesome one year both named Dominique. But he wants to name our SON after Dominique Wilkins. I'm sure he is a great man, he was an amazing basketball player, and I'm happy my husband looks up to him. But I do NOT want my son growing up w/ a GIRL gymnastics name. Oh my maybe ya'll don't find this funny but I did. Even better was I asked him if a boy's name is Dominique what the girl version of the name was. (cuz in my mind Dominic is a boy and Dominique is a girl but what do I know!) And he tried to convince me that the girl version was Dominiqua. LMAO oh my I lost it then for sure. I'm not stupid............
So fast forward a couple months and one night I am making dinner and Steve quickly comes in the kitchen from the spare bedroom/computer room (if you know him at all you know running or quickly moving at all for him is QUITE a feet. I thought he had chopped off a finger or found the cure for cancer), and goes "I know I thought of a boys name I love, Seth"! Well oh my heavens I love the name Seth! So cute. I think of a cute boy w/ brown hair, maybe glasses, smart, and very respectful of women. See when your totally abnormal like me these are things you think of. I always have a face to go w/ a name. Anywho so then I said it together. Seth Sessions. Say it. Say it again fast. Eth (with a VERY bad lisp) Essions. Oh my I about died laughing. So we could have 2 children Thara P and Seth Sessions.
Hope it gave you a laugh today to! I'll keep you updated if we come up w/ any more great names! :)

1 comment:

Julie said...

Thanks for visiting my blog, Becky! Glad you decided to "come out of the closet" so to speak...

I loved this post about names, mainly because my oldest child (and only son) has a name that means "smelly hair". Oh, and his initials are BBM, which one of my OB/GYN's translated to "Big Bowel Movement". NICE.

Thanks for visiting, and I hope you come back soon!