May 9, 2009

Labor and Delivery part Duece.....

So I have a million things I SHOULD and COULD be doing but Bean is asleep on me in the sling so I'll try to continue........
So we got to our room which was HUGE and gorgeous and I started having contractions every 3 minutes and my blood pressure went down to 111/77 the lowest it's been in probably 3 months. Ha. Totally weird, once my body knew she was coming in the next 24 hours I started labor on my own and my b/p went down. God is good!
So my contractions we're sporadic, 3-6 minutes apart then sometimes even 20 minutes apart, they were painful but again nothing I couldn't handle. Then they stopped completely. I was fine w/ that but apparently you need them to have a Baby? Ha. So I had to walk. So Steve took a nap and I had to walk the tiny L/D floor for 45 minutes. Do you know how stupid I felt walking the same path every 3 seconds?? People in their rooms were looking at me like I was crazy cuz I must have walked by them 468 times. The floor was seriously way to small for all that walking! lol. Oh PLUS my big pet peeve, I left work in such a hurry and freaking out that I LEFT my iPod. OMG I was seriously dying. I tried and tired to talk Steve into going to my desk and getting it but he swore if he left Hailey would come shooting out of me. Whateva I needed my music! Ha. It would have made walking MUCH nicer. Anywho sorry I'm done now. So I walked and had some contractions but nothing like you see on TV where the women have to lean on the wall and stuff, nope I was just walking like normal. I even lapped a girl who was walking to recover from a c-section. Ha. So I got back in bed and they checked me and I was STILL at 2cm. This was like 5 hours after they first checked me. I was NOT happy. So they called Dr Reed and he said I could walk and try to labor myself for another 2 hours and if I didn't progress he was putting me on pitocin. I did NOT want anything dripping into my system. I was mad enough about a regular IV and the fact that I had that stupid Strep B crap going in me. The IV honestly was probably worse then any contraction I had. It was in my wrist and it killed! I was pissed. Ha. So I didn't get any stronger contractions and by 5pm I was only dilated to 3cm. So they started pitocin. They started it off at 2 which I don't know what that means except he higher the number the more medicine is going into your IV which means worse/stronger contractions. It sucked. The nurse said I wouldn't feel the effects of the Pit for at least an hour or 2. Ha. 15 minutes later my stomach is burning every 3 minutes and my contractions are off the monitor. It sucked. And every 30 minutes she turned up the pump by increments of 2. By the time Lori's shift was over at 7, and my night (and delivery nurse) Maria came my pit was at like 8. God Bless Maria I cussed at her everytime she turned the Pit up. It was finally at 14 I think when I delivered. The last 3 hours of contractions were horrible. It felt like somebody was building a mountain on my belly, the pressure on my belly was INSANE. I do not know how to describe it, but I'm assuming everybody reading this has had a child before and knows the pain I am talking about. I absolutely refused an epidural, no way no how was somebody sticking needles in my back making me numb. Gross I would die. My only other choice was something w/ a C that would "take the edge off between the contractions" um I was Ms Personality between contractions, talking and laughing and joking but when I HAD a contraction I wanted to die. And it didn't help at all DURING them?? Then no thank you. I think I asked 293018 times if it would help DURING and they said no. Plus one dose of it lasted like an hour, and the first would work well, but after that they stop working as well. So what is the flippin point? I could be here all night!!!
So my parents and brother came and stared at me while I was dying in pain. LOL. Then my BFF Nikki came and she helped a lot. She distracted me and rubbed my back. She helped me get on the birthing ball which was AMAZING, but lil Peanut didn't care for the ball and her heart rate was going WAY down when I was on it, so back in bed on my back it was :( Finally at like 9:30-10pm I started feeling super duper naouchus and like I had to have a major poop. Some other random nurse came in w/ Maria and told me I needed to start pushing. When Maria checked me at 9pm I was 7cm, she checked me again at 10 and I was full 10cm and her head was way down so I was ready to push. They called Dr Reed and he was on his way and told them to have me start pushing and see how I was doing. So they get all their junk set up and my bed torn apart and my feet up in stirrups and tell me to push. I had NO flippin idea what I was doing but it hurt. Like hell. I was using handles to hold onto to help but I was still just pushing in my face. Dr Reed got there with in 10 minutes (praise the Lord I was deathly afraid I would have to "hold" the child in until he came, uh yeah NOT me), and killed me even MORE with his "message" junk he was doing. Holy cow that hurt worse then any contraction on Pit I had been having! That was horrible. So I'm pushing and pushing and pushing, they keep moving my legs, and telling me different things to focus on during my pushing, and how to use the handles properly but nothing. Everytime I would have a good push her lil head would start to come down and then after the contraction would just shoot way back up. It was so frustrating. I felt like I was failing majorly. I couldn't push hard enough to keep her head down and just get it out. I was SO deadly tired. It was horrible. I hadn't eaten since 6:30 am (why oh WHY didn't I have some Pringles before I left work?? Or a rice krispy treat or something???), and it was now 11:30pm, this was also the time that the Heartburn kicked in. Yes my lil friend that had been MIA due to some amazing meds Dr Reed gave me was back in full force. I am guessing because my uterous was pushing so hard up on my stomach it was making me have horrid acid reflux. In between every contraction/push I would vomit acid and burp. Of course Steve thought nothing of it since he has seen me in this state 67865243 times before, but Nikki, Maria and Dr Reed were freaking out. They were making fun of my burps an Dr Reed was really worried about me. I NEEDED my meds! Oddly enough as soon as she came out bam the heartburn was gone and I have not had it since!
After over an hour of pushing and even using a mirror so I could see her head coming down, they starting talking about forceps. OMG I freaked. I have heard such horror stories about those bruising the head, and puncturing through the skull and holy cow I lost it. Dr Reed even opened a pack and HAD the forceps in his hand I just started pushing like the dickens. Steve was counting and Nikki was screaming in my face to bare down and push. I was finally able to see her head actually coming out and I was screaming for the life of me for Dr Reed to get her out. I think I was able to push 2 more times and he finally kinda reached up in me and grab her out.
Without explaining TO much basically my tail bone is 2-3 inches longer then normal people's and it's curved in towards my body, so Hailey's head was basically stuck on my tail bone and that is why it wasn't coming down. Holy moly was my tailbone bruised. It hurt to sit, lay, get up, walk, for about 5 days. It was horrible. But I know I am lucky and have friends that have broken their tailbone in labor so at least mine was only bruised and got better quickly.
Also poor little Peanut had the cord around her neck :( Oddly enough this was something I had been praying about for weeks previously. I was so worried about cord stuff it wasn't even funny. Dr Reed said it wasn't tight and she wasn't in any danger but it was big and bulky around her head, thus making it harder to come out. Basically Dr Reed pulled (and ugh pushed from the other end) her head out, completely turned her lil body around inside of me to get the cord off and pulled the rest of her out because I was so completely exhausted I had nothing left inside of me.
So she was finally born at 12:33am on 4-16. I was technically in labor for 18 hours but I really only say it was 7, which was when they started the pitocin. I could have done the other 11 hours myself just fine I was in barely any pain, but that Pit junk was hell!
So she came out with a horrible bruised cone head, screaming and crying her lungs out. They put her on my chest and honestly I was so tired I had no emotion. I kept asking if she was OK and saying she was gorgeous, Steve was next to me crying and an emotional mess but I was in so much pain I couldn't compute what had just happened. They took Hailey and cleaned her and all the nurses just commented on how gorgeous she was.
Meanwhile Dr Reed got to stitch me up which was fantastic because I wasn't completely numb from the novocaine so I could FEEL them, then them pushing on my belly to shrink the uterus was AMAZING to. Holy cow. I just sat there and cried in pain. All I wanted was to hold and feed my Baby and here I was in even MORE pain then any contraction! Oy it was horrible! So finally they were done with me, Hailey got a 8 on all her tests, they took off 1 point for her skin color (which we learned later she was way jaundice), but other wise she was perfect and tiny! She was only 6lbs 6oz which was TINY compared to what I was thinking she would be, but she was also 2 weeks early!
I sent Nikki home, Steve to get me some food from the cafeteria, and sent a text to some of my girlfriends. Finally I sent Steve home to bed at like 4 am to sleep, we were both so dead. I don't remember that first night at all, except that I LOVED Maria and my Baby was gorgeous and amazing and I never wanted to put her down!


Still to come:
My husband breaks his back, and screaming for 3 hours in the middle of the night at the hospital

2 comments:

Jen said...

You are amazing! What a good mommy you are for getting your girlie out so well!

I had full on pit labor for 16 hours- and an epidural that only worked for 1.5 hours- I know the pain you are talking about! Never again. That stuff is so awful! I'm amazed you were able to do it without meds!

What is wonderful is that our bodies forget the pain and the agony of it all so we do want another baby- God is Good!

Julie said...

You are a BRAVE woman - I was ALL ABOUT the epidural. I know you think that you'd die if you got one, but let me tell you how much better L&D was WITH it. I had pitocin for all 4 of my babies, so I know how crappy the contractions are...

There were some parts of your story that totally reminded me of when I had Bubber - he had a major conehead (I remember thinking, "Oh my word, is his head going to stay like that?). I also had to get stitches and about wanted to punch the doctor because I felt every last one...UGH!

Like Jen said, the amazing thing is that you will soon "forget" how painful childbirth is, and you will think, "I can do this again." Don't get me wrong, you will still remember that it hurt like crazy, but you won't remember what the pain actually felt like. I guess that's God's little way of helping us to desire to have more babies after the first one...LOL